Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,481 metres (27,825 ft) and is located 19 km southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and China. One of the eight-thousanders, Makalu is an isolated peak whose shape is a four-sided pyramid.
Makalu was first climbed on May 15, 1955 by Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy of a French expedition led by Jean Franco. Franco, G. Magnone and Sirdar Gyaltsen Norbu submitted the next day, followed by Bouvier, S. Coupe, Leroux and A. Vialatteon the 17th. The French team climbed Makalu by the north face and northeast ridge, via the saddle between Makalu and Kangchungtse (the Makalu-La), establishing the standard route. The mountain is notorious for its steep pitches and knife-edged ridges that are completely open to the elements. The final ascent of the summit pyramid involves technical rock climbing. Far, the number of individual climbers who have attempted Makalu is only some 300+. Therefore, if you wish to attempt Makalu, you need to have a lot of mountaineering experience including one attempt on an 8,000 meter.
· Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu. Transfer to your hotel.
· Day 02: Sightseeing at Kathmandu Valley.
· Day 03: Preparing the equipments for trekking
· Day 04: Kathmandu to Tumlingtar (Flights)
· Day 05: Tumlingtar to Mane Bhanjyang
· Day 06: Mane Bhanjyang to Chichira.
· Day 07: Chichira to Num
· Day 08: Num to Sheduwa
· Day 09: Sheduwa to Tashigaon.
· Day 10: Tashigaon to Kauma.
· Day 11: Kauma to Dobato.
· Day 12: Dobato to Jark Kharka
· Day 13: Jark Kharka to Hillary Base Camp
· Day 14: Hillary Base Camp to Makalu Base Camp.
· Day 15-48: Climbing period Mt. Makalu.
· Day 49: Clean up Base Camp
· Day 50: Makalu Base Camp to Yak Kharka.
· Day 51: Yak Kharka to Mumbuk.
· Day 52: Mumbuk to Tashi Gaon.
· Day 53: Tashi Gaon to Num
· Day 54: Num to Chichira.
· Day 55: Chichira to Tumlingtar.
· Day 56: Tumlingtar to Kathmandu (Flight).
· Day 57: Free day at Kathmandu.
· Day 58: Departure to your onwards destination
The trip price will vary depending on the group size, duration and services required. Please contact us via our website with your details to obtain a quote and for special offer.
1) Airport pick up and transfer to hotel
2) 3 nights’ accommodation in Kathmandu on twin sharing basis with breakfast
3) Welcome & Farewell dinner in Kathmandu at one of the typical Nepalese local restaurant
4) A day guided city tour of Kathmandu valley
5) Required private transport at Kathmandu
6) National Park Permit/ trekking & TIMS Card
7) Special Peak Climbing Permit
8) One experienced Climbing guide for climbing section & One trekking guide for trekking Section (both leaders are English speaking, first aid trained, climbing leader is trained & licensed from Nepal Mountaineering Association- Rock climbing and mountaineering trained), the cost of camping and trekkers crew/ insurance
9) All necessary Government Taxes and service charges
10) Transfer to the airport for the final departure by private vehicle
11) Equipment allowance, daily allowance & insurance for base camp staff ( Sirdar, cook, kitchen boy and liaison officer )
1) Nepal Visa fees, intl. airfare in/out Nepal
2) Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu except welcome dinner
3) Personal Climbing equipment (Ice Axe, Crampons, Harness, Zoomer, Descender, Carbines & climbing boots etc.)
4) Personal nature expenses- phone calls, laundry, hot shower, bar bills, cold beverages etc.
5) Personal accident insurance and emergency rescue operation
6) Personal tipping and Cost of any extending trips
7) Entire cold and alcoholic beverages on the trip